Sunday, February 17, 2008

Job Woes

For almost three years now (since the twins were born), I've worked in the office only three days a week. The other two days I work from home so that the kids can be home with me as well. It was always important to Gene and I that our kids were not in full time daycare. I know that this is a reality for many families and a few years ago, might have been for us as well had I not had a very accomodating boss. But, I did have an accomodating boss who let me try a part time, work from home schedule on a trial basis. After a few months of the new schedule, he was confident that I could continue to get my job done and my schedule was made permenant.

Fast forward to last June. I end up with a new boss as my old boss left the company. I was immediately concerned that my schedule would be brought under review and I would be asked to return to work in the office on a full time basis. Thankfully, this did not happen and I was relieved. Now, fast forward to this past Friday night. I get an email from my boss with a summary of my annual performance review. Included in that review was the comment that given my current arrangements, my profile in the office is not as high as he would like it to be. Basically, he wants me back in the office five days a week. Ugh.

I've spent all weekend struggling to find the best solution to the situation. I do not want my kids in full time daycare and neither does Gene. So, we ran the numbers to see if we could swing it without my income and basically, we'd have just enough to cover our bills and the necessities but not much else. The twins only have two more years before they will start school and we feel that, especially at this age, they don't care about Mom and Dad's salaries and what that money can buy for them. They care about spending time with us. Right now, we are rockstars in their lives and honestly, on the days that I'm home with them, they want nothing more than to spend time with me. Their faces light up when I walk into a room. You can't put a price tag on that.

So, I have told my boss that I am not in a position to come back into the office five days a week. And, that if he feels strongly that the position needs to be held by someone who can be in the office full time, then I'm not the right person for the job. I'm not sure what the outcome of this will be but I will update as I know more. I'm sure this week will be very interesting.

1 comment:

Lisa Joy said...

I hope your boss realizes how great you are and keeps your current arrangment.